Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the scale vs the measuring tape

So, I've been strength training for 3 weeks now and the scale is still sitting on the same number it was when I first started training. Even though intellectually I understand that the weight loss program I am on combined with the strength training is building muscle while I'm losing fat, I STILL WAIT THE SCALE TO GO DOWN!!!!

Ok, thank-you for letting me get that off my chest. I am losing fat, this I know because I can actually pull my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping. Aside: having the jeans get bigger is great, but why can't I fit into the next size already? I'm going to look like some punk kid soon with the crouch down around my knees if I don't fit into the next size soon!!! end aside...

Since the grocery bags are getting lighter, I know my strength is increasing and I can now reach places on my back I never could so my flexability is getting better as well. All this is great but I STILL WANT THE SCALE TO GO DOWN!!!!

I know the weight number will eventually go down but with how obese I am, I would think the number would have gone down a little bit by now. There is such conflict in my head. The fact that my waist and hip measurements have gone down and the fact that my clothes are getting bigger are all things I try to concentrate on. Never before did I realize how important it is to take your measurements. It really is like a safety net so if the scale doesn't move, you can check the tape measure for a more accurate accounting of how you're doing.

I love the strength training. I am finally getting to the point where I am fatiguing my muscles. It's actually pretty cool, we use nautalus machines which means I'm sitting down for all the exercises... what could be better than that! We do 8-12 reps for each exercise for a 6 counts (2sec, 4sec) and we are suppose to fatigue the muscle in 60-90 seconds (this is why it's only 8-12 reps). It's amazing that this little work really works and strenghthens the muscles. The more muscle I can build, the faster my metabolism will be and the faster I burn calories.

If anyone hasn't tried strength training, you really should give it a try. It's fairly easy, quick and the results are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment